About the Woodman's Pal
The story of the Woodman’s Pal begins eight decades ago, when Frederick Ehrsam, a Swiss national who settled in Pennsylvania, took on a challenge. This challenge was to design a single tool that was both versatile and safe that would economically constructed. To develop the design, he analyzed the functions involved in brush cutting and similar tasks, so that he would have a fresh viewpoint. After ten years, he succeeded in designing the Woodman’s Pal.
An American icon since 1941
After the tool was created, it was a success not only with the private sector, but also with the military. It's use by professionals in forestry, agriculture, and horticulture quickly recognized it as an historic achievement. The U.S. Military prized the Woodman's Pal as well. Designated the "LC-14-B," the Woodman's Pal was standard issue from the early part of WWII through Desert Storm.
Today, the Woodman's Pal continues to be handcrafted right here in Pennsylvania with only the finest American-made raw materials. And this tool is still praised by forest and land managers, surveyors, campers, hikers, hunters, soldiers, handymen, scouts, fishermen, gardeners, and outdoor enthusiasts everywhere.
One of the finest outdoorsman's tools in the world
Trim. Prune. Blaze trails. Brush out lines. Remove unwanted growth. Build hunting blinds. You name it - the Woodman's Pal does it.
Light-weight (23 oz), compact (16 1/2" long), and superbly balanced, the Woodman's Pal feels like an extension of your arm. This extraordinary tool will give you a lifetime of service.
- Specially annealed high carbon steel blade (hardened to Rockwell C47+/-2) will not crack or chip, even in sub-zero temperatures.
- Concave axe blade is ground for extreme strength and offers superior edge holding capabilities. The blade will cut wood up to 1 1/2" in diameter with a single stroke.
- Chisel sharp sickle hook slices through stubborn vines and briars, and removes unwanted sprout growth at ground level.
- Line of balance runs precisely from the grip through the sickle edge creating a natural momentum for efficient swinging motion.
- Black powder coating prevents rust and corrosion.
- Safety toe extends 1" up the axe-side of the tool to reduce risk of deflective injuries.